October 15, 2012

M is for Memories: Words from the Past

Hello Baby,

First off, happy happy 24 Weeks and 3 days old to you! 
This past weekend Mr. C and I went to visit my Mommy, Daddy, and your Uncle Kellan in Katy.
And you got to meet one of my very special friends, Auntie Alex, too.
She wants you to come visit her in Lafayette next year. We will go do boy things like fish and look for crabs.

isn't she pretty?!

Mom and I shopped a little for your nursery and looked through all my old books in the attic.
How cool is it that my Mom kept so many? So many of my favorites that I can now share with you.
(We filled 4 whole shopping bags!)
Some of the bindings and covers are torn and worn. And some are inscribed by loved ones.
There is something about the way the pages smell- like my childhood.

Here's some of my favorites I can't wait to read to you:
This was your Great Grandmother's, Judith Weisend. My Mom's Mom. She was a wonderful teacher.
She passed away from cancer. And I miss her everyday.

This reads: "To Judy, Like the grandmother in this book, you make geography fun for all of us! I'm sure you will teach your grandson geography like teaching your students and fellow teachers-with excitement and joy for learning. Fondly, Pat"

This was given to my by your Great Grammy B.

She wrote: "To Lauren, With Love from Grammy B-Remember when we read this together-so many times when you lived in Boston? I Love You :)"

A very cute book. With an original illustration from the artist, Jose Aruego.

This reads: "Sometimes good friends can't be together. But Lauren, you make sure that you, Mommy, and Daddy keep close to me! Happy Birthday! xxoo Jeff '89"

So very true about good friends and distance...

Another from Grammy B: "1991. Dear Lauren, I send this book to you to introduce you to an author that I hope you will grow to love-as does your Daddy-I'm sure Mommy, Daddy will read this to you many times and when I next come to Houston, I will read to you from these pages also. And someday you will be able to read all of Thoreau all by yourself. Hugs, Grammy B"


They just don't make books like this anymore. Lucky you.
XOXO- Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment