June 11, 2013

T is for Truth: Briefcases and Breast Pumps

I'm torn. 
Little T is about 5 months old now and I'm still breastfeeding (aka "BF").
Therefore, pumping at work
And now I need some advice...

Some days I feel like I've reached my limit. 
That I simply cannot, will not, and flat out don't want to BF anymore, specifically b/c of the pumping.
Then, after a long day's work, I can't wait to have that time with him.
There's something about that time that is really special. 

Pumping at work is critical to keeping up my supply so I can't have one without the other.

*SIDE BAR*
Even if you aren't BF, for whatever reason, (and there are many!) 
just having one/one time over the baby's meal helps develop an emotional bond. 
I feel like the physical closeness and eye contact during is important.
Babies just know and I'm sure are grateful whichever way they get nourishment.

This isn't a post about the benefits of BF-
 rather, (and probably more honestly) its a rant about the side effects.
. I remember getting so annoyed if people, usually nosy acquaintances, would ask me if I was going to BF. How the heck did I know whether or not I'd be able to? And besides, NONE YA BIZNAS!

from here.

I digress...
My goal for BF keeps getting longer and longer. 
(Now, I'm going for 6 months max)
Frankly, I've kind of surprised myself with how long I've lasted. 
But going back to work, knowing that I'd have to pump gave me anxiety. 

It's not easy. 
Rarely, it's a welcome relief in my busy schedule; but more often than not, it's a flat out hassle. 
I pump anywhere from 3-4 times a day (btw 8am-5pm) and it usually takes a solid 20 minutes each. 
That's an hour pumping I lose out of my work day. 5 X a week (doesn't seem like much) but it adds up.

Sometimes I'll have client meetings and won't pump for 5 hours. (yes, that hurts)
I've pumped in my car. In a handicap bathroom at the airport. (gross) In the middle of the night. 
In an electrical closet. In (several) random parking lots. While driving (don't report me)...
and the list goes on and on.

It goes without saying that the benefits of BF far out weigh the inconveniences and struggles.
I feel selfish saying this but I'm ready to have my body back. Completely. 
Little T is growing (like a champ) and is of (very) healthy weight.
And since he's started some formula and cereal, the kid isn't going to bed hungry.

I've never done this before so I'm doing my best to gauge how, when, and why to stop. 
Is it bad that I get excited by how much free time I think I'll have back?!
(which I'm sure will get filled with other fun things- not being sarcastic!)
Anyways, any advice/thoughts y'all have on pumping is welcome!

XOXO-LC

5 comments:

  1. So proud of you Lauren, the amount of time you have already gone is a huge milestone and you deserve a big pat on the back! Whatever you decide do what is best for you, you are an amazing Mama! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so encouraging! Thanks sweet friend!

      Delete
  2. Per usual, love your post. I cannot give any real opinions here because I haven't walked in your shoes yet, but one day soon I will. And just know that your truthfelness has already made me feel more secure in whatever decision I make about pumping and going back to work.
    I am of the mindset that anything you do is better than nothing...1 week, 2 months, 5 months, etc. You have already given Tripp an amazing gift, so don't ever beat yourself up about stopping. You are not quitting anything...just moving to a new stage. And I don't know one mom who hasn't said each stage only gets better.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought about it like this Haddy...(I may have gotten teary eyed reading this!) Thank you for your oh so wise words! Little L is a lucky girl!

      Delete
  3. Hey Lauren! Going through the same thing currently. I pump 3 x at work a day, it does not ever feel like a break to me and not to mention my nipples are very sore at the end of the day! My goal was to BF for a whole year prior to having Crosby...now my goal has decreased drastically! I am now trying to make it 8 months, mainly because I have a trip and I will be away from the little guy for a week. I too am ready to have my body back and it does feel like such a relief to not have to worry about feeding him all the time! I am totally on the same boat as Haddy. Do whatever you can do and do not feel bad about stopping BF. Do not beat yourself up over it! I know I was only BF for about 6 weeks when I was born and I think I turned out fine! Being a mom is sooo hard, and you analyze everything you do! But it is all well worth it! Tripp will love you no matter what you decide to do! FYI, I have taken your lead and started my own blog at www.hiddemenlife@blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete