October 09, 2012

M is for Manners: "No, I'm not having twins..."

So far, I've avoided most awkward social conversations and interactions regarding my pregnancy.
Welp. Yesterday the inevitable caught up with me.
Let's be honest, everyone has an occasional non-malicious verbal slip up every once in a while.
Regardless of raging hormones or not, it's important to remember that and forgive.

(from an all time favorite: Pregnant Chicken)

Here's how it played out:

Baby C was kicking a lot during my Monday meetings. (I know little guy, I hate Mundays too)
So in between conversations, I mentioned to everyone how cool it was that he was kicking.
"Person A" (who shall remain nameless) then asked casually when I was due.
"Feburary 1st. I can't wait!" I reminded her.
"Oh, having twins I see!" she replied.

(oh no she didn't!)

"Person A", who I work with daily, has known for weeks that
a) I'm having one child and b) seen all the sonograms.
What prompted her to word vomit while surrounded by our friends and collegues is beyond me.
She is a sarcastic person, but also a mother herself so um...no excuses.

I just smiled at her, ignored the comment, and then turned to continue listening to the presentation.
Later, while we were meeting one on one, she started to (kind of) apologize...
Saying, "Hey, I hope you didn't take offense to my comment earlier."
I looked at her and firmly said, "Well it wasn't exactly the nicest thing to say."

(shocking. I usually would have avoided conflict and shut my mouth)

Cue her to then start to profusely apologize. Which was (all in all) a really sweet apology.
I told her it was ok, but I really appreciated her saying that.

Lesson being:
a) People are crazy and will say/do ridiculous things while your pregnant.
(Like grab and shake your belly. Scrambled baby, wonderful...)
b) Don't take it all personally, BUT when justified, stick up for yourself in a calm, mature way.
c) Take a minute alone afterwards to re-group, forgive them, and move on with your day.
           You're having a sweet sweet baby who will love you, after all!

Although, next time, I wish I had more "you know whats" to say
something hilarious like this, and this, and this...

XOXO-LC

1 comment:

  1. I had a male student ask to touch my belly when I was preggo. I told him thanks for asking, but no. As a mom, I think you learn to speak up more when your child is involved!

    ReplyDelete