April 25, 2013

T is for Truth: Breastfeeding 101

Hello Blog,
I missed you. 
And I missed you dear readers.
Thanks for your patience.

My thoughts as of late have been occupied by breastfeeding
Thrilling...I know. 
Some of my more curious friends have been asking about how it's going, 
so I thought I'd share some of my experience and tricks thus far.
Cliff Notes version...

Let me just start by saying that although breastfeeding can be hard work at times,
I wouldn't change the time I get to spend with T for the world
Since coming back to work, I truly realize now how special the moments are during.
No matter if you last a day or a year, any effort spent is well worth it.

I've lasted a little over 3 months to date and I've decided to keep going.
(Until the boy bites me that is! Then we are D-O-N-E!)
I struggle sometimes but know that ultimately I have the rest of my life to get my body back
and for the time being, this is what's best for my little one.
We are toying around with the idea to start supplementing at night, so I'll document that as we know more.


Mr. C feeding our child. Multitasking at its finest.
He was trying to eat his own dinner too!

1. My Breastfeeding Lifesavers
The nurses told me that apparently fair skin and light hair/eye women
have more sensitive skin and therefore breastfeeding can be even more painful.
Thus my lifesaver list:

 
Medela nipple shields:
Can get online, any baby store, even Target. 
Totally helps protect super sore nipples. 
Yes, breastfeeding hurts. And it didn't get easier for me.
I use these every time I feed. Pain to have to clean all the time, but they've helped me last as long as I have.

Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter

Earth mama-Angel baby natural nipple butter:
This stuff is amazing
No better way to describe it other than its like chap stick for the nipples.

Lansinoh disposable breast pads:
Put these in my bra (Bravado) to help with leakiness. Lovely.
I use a set a day. 


Medela tender care hydrogel pads:
You store these in the fridge. Last about 1 month.
These are great but make sure to clean your skin with a damp cloth before feeding.

Philips Avent 2 in 1 breast care thermopads: 
When the Medela gel pads aren't cuttin it... I keep these in the freezer.


2. How & When to Start Pumping
I googled the heck out of this. I literally typed in the search: "How Do I start Pumping?"
Boy was that a mistake. I got all sorts of weird, non breastfeeding related topics!
What I determined was this:

Since birth, I always fed him one breast at a time during a feeding. So when I wanted to start pumping,
I simply fed him from one breast, until he was satisfied, and then pumped the other breast.

Once I got the hang of it, I fed from both breasts
during a feeding to keep my supply up and body symmetrical! :)
Now when I pump, I typically pump both.
However, sometimes I have to pump one at a time depending on how the feeding goes.

This pump is awesome!
The first couple of times, I only got a few ounces- like 1-2oz.
He was about 7 weeks old.
I felt like a milk factory, how could I not get a full 5 oz bottle?!

However, what I  had to remind myself was
that your body produces just the right amount of milk at that stage of the baby's life.
Eventually, my supply would increase as his appetite would.
So I continued to pump, probably 3-4 times a week, freezing the milk.

I went back to work around 9 1/2 weeks,
and had a pretty good stock of milk for his first few days at church school.
We tested out a bottle of breast milk (we like these) several times before school,
just so it wouldn't be a struggle at the last minute. He took right to it. My hungry boy!

Pumping at work is another story....

3. Breast Milk Storage Do's and Don'ts
These are the rules I follow:
a. Fresh milk lasts in the freezer 3-6 months.
Make sure you label with the date you pumped. I use these bags.
b. Fresh milk lasts in the fridge 3-8 days.
c. Fresh milk lasts on the counter for 6 hrs.
d. Fresh milk, either from the fridge or defrosted in the fridge, lasts up to 1 hr after warming.

When warming a bottle, never use the microwave.
It can cause hot pockets of milk that can burn their little mouths. :(
Warm in a saucepan on medium/high heat, filled with water, up the the milk line in the bottle.
It's ready when you test it on your wrist and you can barely feel it. It should be luke warm.
I swirl it around and shake a little to make sure the warmth is distributed.

Hope this helps some of you!
Ultimately you have to do what's best for you and your family. 
Cheers!
(with a glass full of milk that is!)
XOXO-LC

No comments:

Post a Comment